Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chicken Teryaki

It has been 11 days since I graduated, and I have to say I am finally relaxed. I have gotten myself on a little schedule again, and I love being able to spend time to pamper myself. I have been quite creative with cooking lately, and I very proud of that. From the pizza casserole, adding my own touches to the meatballs, and trying new recipes.

*A little can go a long way*
This is true in nursing as well as every other aspect in life. For example, last week I was on my way to get my CPR/BLS renewed and there were two RN's at the gas station I stopped at. I approached them, shook their hands, and wished them a Happy Nurse's Week. I don't know how if affected them, but knowing that I thanked them for all they do made my day. Giving is always better than receiving. That is another reason why I chose nursing as my career.

So...onto the 'yaki. I was on one of my favorite websites, Pinterest, on Monday, and I came across a crock pot chicken teriyaki recipe. It can't get any better after you add the words "crock pot" to something.

This is modified from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom's blog.

Ingredients:
1 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 1/2 teaspoons cold water
Cooked rice

Place the chicken in the crock pot. Mix the sugar, soy sauce, apple cider, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper together, and pour on top of the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Pour liquid from the crock pot into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix together cornstarch and water, and once mixed stir into the crock pot liquid. Bring sauce down to medium and keep stiring until the sauce has thickened.

Boil rice. For vegetables, I used a frozen bag of gumbo style veggies. I would have preferred to use an asian style, but that was unavailable :)

After the sauce, veggies, and rice were complete, I shredded the chicken. Then I placed it all in a bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment