Friday, September 7, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

Today was a much needed rest/pamper day for me today. I woke up this morning to my precious Tedi prancing down the hallway, jumping onto our king size bed, and pouncing on me until I decided I was going to get up :) How I LOVE my Maltese!

I had my traditional coffee. I am out of stock of my staple 1 overfilled cup Cheerios and cup of Kroger yogurt, but my oatmeal was just as enjoyed. You can't forget about my WHNT in the morning either.

One of the highlights of my morning was finding Zumba on youtube.It's the little things in life really. I think I have found my new past time.

Chris and I enjoyed a night out for dinner at one of our favorites, THE Chick Fil A, and then went grocery shopping. He was at work on Wednesday and found a recipe for Irish Soda Bread that Ina Garten made, so I made sure we added all of our missing ingredients to the list.

Did I mention that we didn't get home until 0830? So.....ingredients mixed, dough kneaded, and placed in the oven by 0850. AND there is flour ALL over our kitchen. Another reason why I love my husband :)

I can't even being to tell you how amazing this aroma is! Three things in life that the aroma will make anyone stop: 1. Brownies 2. Icing(at least for me) 3. homemade bread.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/irish-soda-bread-recipe/index.html

Here is where Chris and I got the recipe from. If you have never seen her show, I highly recommend it. She is wonderful.

4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for currants
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups cold buttermilk, shaken
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 cup raisins


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low with an electric mixer. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour. Mix the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl. Turn your electric mixer back on and slowly add the buttermilk/egg mixture.
 One well mixed, combine the currants with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix into the dough. It will be very wet.
Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Spray baking sheet with Pam and sprinkle with flour. Place dough on baking sheet and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.

Our loaf was finished earlier than 45 minutes. I would say ours had a hollow sound after 35 minutes of baking. We also forgot to cut an x in the top of ours.

Here it is. Yes it looks as good as it tastes. You and yours will have to make this :) I hope you all enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment