Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

I hope everyone is doing well on this beautiful Wednesday morning. I have to admit that I am still nervous. I took boards yesterday, and I won't find out results until late tonight or early tomorrow. I did do the "trick" to find out if I passed which is to try to re-register to take the exam. If it lets you register, you did not pass. It did not let me register so I am taking that as good news.

Chris and I like to plan meals for around 2 weeks, so when we buy groceries we won't have to constantly come back. One night when we were getting ready to go to bed the idea for this casserole came into my mind. Has anyone been to Big Bob Gibson's BBQ? If not, at least once in your lifetime you need to go. I always get their turkey stuffed baked potato, and it's heaven. Who can complain about a huge baked potato, sour cream, butter, cheese, and delicious turkey?

I love casseroles, and I knew we had just about everything to make this creation already. A huge thank you to Publix for the B1G1 BBQ sauce. We had plenty to go around :)

First I put 2 frozen chicken breasts and enough bbq sauce to cover them in the crock pot on low for about 6 hours. About an hour to hour and a half before you want to plate the casserole, get a pot of boiling water ready to make your mashed potatoes. I used 3 large Russet potatoes.

While your potatoes are boiling, shred the chicken and place it back into the crock pot so it will absorb more of the bbq sauce. It took about half an hour for the potatoes to become soft enough for a fork to go through them. I mashed the potatoes up completely, skin and all. Then, I put butter and sour cream in them to make a mashed potato.

Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray, and you're ready to layer. First place all of the mashed potatoes on the bottom. After you have smoothed them over, evenly spread the shredded bbq chicken, and lastly, sprinkle a cup to a cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese on top.



Here is the hardest part: cooking the casserole and waiting to eat it. Place the dish in the oven at 365 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the cheese it golden.



Ingredients:
1 pound of frozen chicken breasts
1 cup of shredded cheese
1 small container of reduced fat or fat free sour cream
Butter
3 large Russet potatoes
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce(1 used about half of the bottle)

*With the butter and sour cream, add as much as you are comfortable and happy with. I used the taste rule :)

No comments:

Post a Comment